DOWNLOAD | Schoolboy Q – Oxymoron [Deluxe]
Big news in the world of Hip-Hop as Schoolboy Q has announced his first major album release titled “Oxymoron” which will be available to fans next week (Tuesday 25th February). Schoolboy Q has teamed up with Raekwon for the single “Blind Threats” which will be featured on Oxymoron, which was streamed in full on Peter Rosenberg’s Hot 97 show. You can pre-order Schoolboy Q’s “Oxymoron” album from the link listed above. However, you can listen to SchoolBoy Q ft Raekwon – Blind Threats on the YouTube player below.
PREVIOUS | Doctors Orders Present 9th Wonder in London
TICKETS | www.thedoctorsorders.com
It’s without question that The Doctors Orders have been responsible for presenting some of the best Hip-Hop artists in recent years. The same can be said about the upcoming show on March 8th as Just Blaze comes back to the UK thanks to our good doctor friends. In March 2011, The Doctors Orders prsented Just Blaze vs The Alchemist “Sound Clash”, and fans will be treated to another great performance next month. The venue is Scala, which will also play host to another huge event (DJ Jazzy Jeff / Skillz / DJ Mr Thing) in April 2014. You can view the official event flyer, with the ticket link to the Just Blaze in London event here.
EXCLUSIVE | Mega Ran and K-Murdock HHK Interview
HHK Favourite Mega Ran has released the video for his latest single “The Dance (No Sleep)”. Famous for his video game work (Black Materia / Forever Famicom / Castlevania etc), Mega Ran spoke with HHK in an exclusive interview last year following the release of his “TRAP E.P” and highlighted a potential switch in musical direction. You can check out previous Mega Ran music on the links above. However, you can watch Mega Ran – The Dance (No Sleep) on the YouTube player below.
DOWNLOAD | Koncept – Live On E.P
DOWNLOAD | J57 – Wax Aesthetic
Our drinking and smoking buddies from across the Atlantic (Koncept and J57) teamed up with director Liam “Body” Bagnall during their most recent trip to the U.K to shoot the video for the single “Wings”. As HHK fans know, Wings is taken from the “Live On” E.P by Koncept, and Wings is one of my favourite tracks produced by Numonics. For those who have been under a rock, Brown Bag AllStars have been incredibly active over the past few years – consistently releasing various music and videos. Check out some of the links above. However, you can watch Koncept ft J57 – Wings on the YouTube player below.
PREVIOUS | Grieves – Winter and the Wolves
Earlier this month, HHK announced that Rhymesayers artist Grieves was releasing his new album “Winter and the Wolves”. It was promoted with the audio for “Shreds” which we not have the official video for that was premiered through Rhymesayers’ YouTube channel. Grieves will be releasing Winter and the Wolves on the 25th March 2014, and we are now awaiting a final track listing. Grieves will also be embarking on a European and American tour to support the album release, with dates listed below. You can also watch Grieves – Shreds here.
April 9 – London, UK – Oslo
April 10 – Birmingham, UK – Hare & Hounds 2
April 11 – Manchester, UK – Soup Kitchen
April 12 – Paris, FR
April 14 – Brussels, BE – Rotonde
April 15 – Munich, DE – Muffatcafe
April 16 – Berlin, DE – Cassiopeia
April 17 – Hamburg, DE – Mojo Jazz Cafe
April 18 – Frankfurt, DE – Zoom
April 19 – Aarhus, DK – Atlas
April 20 – Copenhagen, DK – Pumpehuset
April 22 – Oslo, NO – Sawol
April 23 – Stockholm, SE – Nalen
NORTH AMERICA 2014:
April 4 – Mesa, AZ – CycloMesa
April 29 – Portland, OR – Branx
May 1 – Reno, NV – Knitting Factory
May 2 – San Francisco, CA – Slim’s
May 3 – Los Angeles, CA – The Roxy
May 4 – Santa Ana, CA – Constellation Room
May 5 – Tucson, AZ – Congress
May 6 – El Paso, TX – Tricky Falls
May 7 – Albuquerque, NM – Sunshine Theater
May 9 – Durango, CO – Animas City Theatre
May 10 – Denver, CO – Ogden Theatre
May 13 – Austin, TX – Stubbs Jr.
May 14 – Dallas, TX – Cambridge Room at HOB
May 15 – Oklahoma City, OK – The Conservatory
May 16 – Lawrence, KS – Granada
May 17 – St. Louis, MO – Firebird
May 19 – Columbia, MO – Mojo’s
May 21 – Cincinnati, OH – 20th Century Theatre
May 22 – Columbus, OH – The Basement
May 23 – Chicago, IL – Subterranean
May 27 – Omaha, NE – The Waiting Room
May 28 – Rapid City, SD – Sports Rock
May 29 – Billings, MT – The Carlin
May 30 – Jackson, WY – Pink Garter Theatre
May 31 – Salt Lake City, UT – In The Venue
June 1 – Boise, ID – The Reef
June 2 – Spokane, WA – The Bartlett
June 7 – Seattle, WA – Showbox
+ More dates to be announced!
For tickets and more tour information, click here: http://rhymesayers.com/events
DOWNLOAD | Matt Maddox – Righteous Fury
As we approach the release of Matt Maddox’s new album “Righteous Fury”, here are 25 Facts about the project that fans might not be aware of. Please support the release by pre-ordering from the Amazon link listed above.
1. RF was recorded in two very different locations. A) My bedroom. B) Chop Shop Studios, PA. (S/O STWB)
2. RF was originally planned to be a double cd release, with about 28 tracks.
3. RF artwork was planned on intricately for years, with an old death metal type influence for the basis.
4. I was mostly inspired by anger and discontent with my current situation.
5. It’d sometimes take up to a few weeks to complete a song.
6. I try to use a single DJ for all the cuts on all of my albums so far.
7. I don’t usually listen to outside music (music other than what I’m working on) very much during the process of making an album.
8. I had to work on toning down my aggressive approach.
9. This record is my most personal work.
10. Some of these tracks have been written for over a year before seeing the studio
11. I suffered a burst appendix while in the UK last tour and still continued the tour without medical attention (for 4 months). All during the course of constructing RF.
12. I’ve actually toured Europe/UK three times during the making of RF. Spain, Las Palmas, France, Italy, Rotterdam, UK.
13. I got a tattoo (my microphone), at the venue, just before my set in Quakertown, once.
14. Producer Skammadix has the majority of the beats on this album. He and I are going to be working on some new shit soon.
15. The last song that I wrote (on a plane) for the album was A Time To Kill, which turned out to be the first one I recorded after arriving at Chop Shop.
16. I have some tracks that didn’t make the record, that will still see the light of day.
17. This album covers a wide range of sounds, topics, and approaches.
18. The entire album was mixed, and mastered by Stress The White Boy in a very cool time frame.
19. The pieces to this puzzle were literally being placed until Due Date. It was a crazy ride.
20. The video for BARbarians was shot in Brooklyn, NY. I flew from Kansas, the director and Born Unique came from VA, Godilla let me stay with him and drove from Easton and UG met us there.
21. I obsess over my music and listen over and over again, picking it apart. I’m my own worst critic for sure.
22. This album has 1 interlude, that was actually a sample in the beginning of the Sick N Tired track. I was however advised to make it a separate interlude, by my little brother. It was a genius recommendation.
23. I’ve booked several gigs and tours through Facebook.
24. I had to let some beats and concepts I had go, in order to make a more cohesive album.
25. I went through some very real life during the making if this record, and it will definitely translate to the listener.
In one of the most highly anticipated rap battles in history, King of the Dot (KOTD) have today released the main battle from the Blackout 4 event between Dizaster vs Pat Stay. The one-hour video contains the standard intro and three verses from each battle rapper who are competing for the infamous KOTD chain. Make sure you check out the official King of the Dot YouTube Channel above for other Blackout 4 battles including Bender vs Big T, Charron vs The Saurus, Arsonal vs Swave Sevah and DNA vs Arcane. You can watch the King of the Dot (KOTD) – Dizaster vs Pat Stay (Title Match) on the YouTube player below.
PREVIOUS | Illogic – She Didn’t Write
Illogic blesses the HHK audience once again with a new single from his new music monday project called “I Wanna See”. Last week we posted a track from Illogic titled “She Didn’t Write” which was produced by Aaron Evans, who has also produced the new single “I Wanna See”. Illogic has also confirmed I Wanna See will be featured on the forthcoming “Dove Ink Sessions” and as soon as we have an official track listing and release date you’ll be the first to know. Make sure you check out “She Didn’t Write” on the link listed above, and you can listen to Illogic – I Wanna See on the soundcloud player below.
PURCHASE | Final Fantasy VII
One of my personal favourite ever RPG’s is Final Fantasy VII, and the prospect of a remake has been on the lips of like-minded fans for years. LetsGamerTalk have announced the news after Yoshinori Kitase (producer of FF7) spoke to Eurogamer, and gave the explanations of why the game hasn’t been remade already, and the obstacles that currently stand in the way. Final Fantasy VII is still available to buy from the Amazon link listed above. However, you can watch the Final Fantasy VII Remake Update on the video player below.
PREVIOUS | Visual – Steps
Chicago based Visual has presented a brand new single titled “Fuck a Party” with production credits going to Loose Cannon. Visual has announced the track will be featured on an upcoming compilation by Big Herc and J-Ro (Alkaholiks) called “Windy City Antics”. Visual has been featured various times through the years on HHKMag and I’d highly recommend searching the archives and checking the back catelogue. You can listen to the new single from Visual – Fuck a Party on the audio player below.